Thursday, May 25, 2006

Surgery

Addie Mei's surgeryDate: 5/25/2006
Addie Mei had her surgery on Monday to remove the extra tip on her thumb. We had the surgery at Riley Children's hospital and everything went great.The doctor removed the tip and then repositioned some tendons and ligaments. He had to put a pin in the thumb to hold all in place. She come out with a soft splint up to her arm pit. I was a bit surprised, as I thougt she would only have a little thumb slint on. Getting her dressed is quite the ordeal. I have NO shirts that have sleeves that fit over this thing. I had to go to Goodwill and buy a jacket to cut the sleeve off from. She has to wear the hospital shirt that she came home in to bed. It is the only thing that would go over her arm that she could sleep in.She did have a hard time coming out of the aneasthesia. She had to have some medicine for nausea and that seemed to help. Only after three bouts of throwing up red popcicle on Mama's white sweater. Lesson learned!!!!!!!She seems to be handling it all very well. Only a little cranky the first day or so. I have taken her off the strong pain meds, as I think they made her very aggitated.We do have to go back to the doctor today, unplanned. She has broken the splint already. She falls a lot with the extra weight on hr already weaker right side. She catches herself on both hands, and has broken the splint. I hope they wil lput a smaller thumb spika on instead of this whole arm thing again. Whatever is best for her though!!Thank you for your prayers!! She is a little trooper!! Yesterday, we went into the garden and Addie Mei got to pick her first strawberry!! She did very well. She then proceded to eat the strawberry. Good thing I do not spray!!! I told her that we only pick the very red ones. he looked around and saw another and went right to it!! I think she is really understanding a lot more everyday!!! I got pictures of her in the garden in her album.On we go!!!

No comments: